- Published: 02 October 2018
As of 01.10.2018., the Gender Alternatives Foundation will take part in a new project, funded under the Erasmus + KA2 VET program or adult education called "Be Aware– Strengthening competences to face sexual harassment on the workplace ". / Grant Agreement No. 2018-1-AT01-KA202-039286/. It aims to increase the ability to deal with sexual harassment in the workplace. Duration of the project will be 36 months /01.09.2018 – 31.08.2021/. The main idea of the project is Sexual Harrassment in Education and the Workplace.
Actual discourses in media show that not only does sexual harrassment occur in entertainment and sports, but also in the daily work within existing hierarchic structures. Especially those starting out in their careers are threatened. There are two main issues during training and employment:
· Victims are in a hierarchically inferior position and thus do not dare to talk about the issue. They try to deny the existence of the problem or fault themselves for its occurance. Fear of losing employment or feelings of shame make it difficult to report the incidents.
· In case of sexual harrassment being reported, it is the responsibility of the employer to act. However, it can often be observed that superiors and workers representatives lack the sensitivity and competence to deal with the matter. This usually stems from a lack of or insufficient quality of training, as well as general feeling of ambiguity when dealing with the topic. Thus, they often fail to act and do not fulfill their duty.
In order to strengthen affected employees and trainees and to more effectively prevent sexual harrassment at the workplace, the following measures are planned to be developed.
· An online training course for workers representatives to sensitivise them and expand their competences in dealing with sexual harrassment in training and at the workplace
· An online training course for employees to raise awareness on the issue and to enable them to address the issue and inform them on where to find appropriate support.
· An online platform where the affected can seek advise and information
· Transnational Training and related national trainings
· Multiplier Events
The main target groups are : employees and workers representatives, HR Managers, Trainers and Mentors for Job Beginners, Employees.